Community Engagement Certificate
The purpose of this certificate is to provide students with an opportunity to gain awareness of service activities, engage in community assets, and gain experience that bolsters interpersonal skills and professionalism, while learning about community engagement. Students should complete all the pathways to earn this certificate.
This Badge is designed to familiarize students with community engagement.
- Take this brief Social Issues Inventory to get a feel for the type of service projects/issues you may be interested in pursuing.
- Once completed, submit your top three social and community related issues to this Google Form.
- Watch this video about the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals to learn more about how we can assist in the process to achieve a sustainable future.
- Watch this video titled “What is Community Engagement?” and
- Complete the Reflection.
- Acknowledge the different types of service one can participate in and how it influences the community partner:
Direct vs. Indirect service
|Direct Service||Engage with the clientele served by an organization (eg. activities with elderly residents, games with kids, serving meals, etc.)|
|Indirect Service||Complete a task for the organization that will benefit the clientele they serve (eg. painting walls, beautification of an area, etc.)|
Good vs. Bad Service
|Good Service||the organization is involved in the type of service performed so both parties benefit|
|Bad Service||good intention but bad delivery; the service unintentionally hurts or minimizes the organization and their clientele|
Last updated: 6/21/2023