Schedule a Healthy Lifestyle Consultation
“Just for the Health of It”
The purpose of the “Just for Health of It” Healthy Lifestyle Consultation Program is to provide Georgia Southern University college students with the knowledge and skills necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle through proper diet and physical activity based on his or her personal health needs. Currently, enrolled students who have paid the Health fee for the term in which they are enrolled may schedule an appointment after completion of eligibility requirements. Referrals can be made by a healthcare provider in the Georgia Southern Health Services clinic. Referrals are not required.
Scheduling and Eligibility Requirements
- Participants are required to complete at a minimum, a three-day nutrition log in its entirety consisting of two week days and one weekend day.
- Participants are required to complete a seven-day physical activity log in its entirety.
- Participants are required to complete a CRI fitness assessment. Bring the assessment with you to your scheduled consultation.
- The health consultation session will not be scheduled until the participant completes these requirements in its entirety and emails the nutrition and physical activity logs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The logs must be downloaded and saved to your desktop prior to entering your information. You must then open the saved copy from your desktop to complete the form.
Scheduling an Appointment
To schedule an appointment for a Healthy Lifestyle Consultation, the participant will email the Health Promotion Department email account.
Appointments are confidential and will last approximately 40 minutes. There is no charge for this service as it is covered by the student health fee. Health Services recommends that the participant arrive at least 10 minutes ahead of his or her scheduled appointment time.
If a participant fails to show for their appointment or fails to cancel more than 24 hours before his/her scheduled appointment, they will be considered a “no-show.” If a participant is less than 15 minutes late, the session will end at the regularly scheduled time. If the participant is late signing in for their appointment, he or she may be asked to reschedule.
All individuals wishing to participate in the Healthy Lifestyle Consultation Program may schedule an appointment after completion of eligibility requirements. Cases will be determined by the Health Promotion Coordinator on a case by case basis to determine whether this program will suit the applicant’s needs. The following conditions or cases are not eligible or applicable to receive health consultation sessions:
- Cases that require coordination of intensive medical and/or nutritional treatment, including cases of individuals with clinically diagnosable eating disorders such as: rumination disorder, avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder, anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, or eating disorder not otherwise specified (EDNOS). Individuals with eating related concerns that require treatment beyond the scope of practice offered at Health Services will be referred to treatment programs in surrounding communities.
- Cases in which treatment is not voluntary and the expertise by a registered dietician is indicated.
The participant should not regard guidance received from the healthy lifestyle program as a replacement for standard medical care. The Healthy Lifestyle Consultation Program will not diagnose medical conditions and recommends consulting a physician if the participant suspects a disease or ailment. The consultant will refer cases to outside professionals when indicated and/or will refer cases which he or she is not professionally qualified to address. The consultant is not a registered dietitian and may not be a certified fitness professional. The consultant will only provide guidance which falls under his or her scope of practice. The healthy lifestyle consultant will not prescribe specific dietary recommendations or physical activity augmentations.
Last updated: 1/15/2020