Join us!

The George-Anne Media Group

The Office of Student Media provides opportunities for students of all majors to get involved on campus and to serve their community. What will you do and learn? Listen to some graduates:

Testimonials

I still remember the first time I walked into the Student Media offices. It was also my first day on campus. I left that meeting with my first story for the Southern Reflector, lifelong friends and I started a journalism career that has taken me around the country doing what I love. You might have a chance to be editor of The George-Anne while you’re here. You’ll certainly become a part of a great organization and you’ll enrich your life in the process.

–Charles Minshew, director of data services at Investigative Reporters and Editors, Columbia, Missouri (editor-in-chief of The George-Anne, 2010-2011)

I joined The George-Anne during my sophomore year of college and to say it changed my path for the better would be an understatement. I was not only able to find my passion in journalism through real-world applications, but I made lifelong friendships that I will cherish forever.

–Jackie Gutknecht, managing editor, The Covington (Georgia) News (managing editor of The George-Anne, 2013-2014)

My decision to join Student Media was one of the few smart decisions I made in college – I owe every connection and career opportunity I’ve had since graduating to it. What I learned working in the Williams Center took me from Southeast Georgia to working within a block of the Empire State Building. It turned a bumbling, unorganized sophomore into an employable adult.

Will Price, staff writer, Gear Patrol Magazine, New York (editor-in-chief of The George-Anne, 2014-2015)

“Not only did I learn valuable skills to add to my resume and create portfolio material I was proud to show future employers, but I also made great friends. Long after graduation, we continue to support each other in our careers and personal lives.”

–Peyton Callanan, marketing manager, 360 Smart Networks, Atlanta, Georgia (George-Anne and Reflector staff, 2012-2015)

The only thing more valuable than the hands-on experience you gain as a member of Student Media are the relationships you build along the way.

–Will Cheney, sports editor of The George-Anne, 2014

Journalism classes alone would’ve never prepared me for working at a daily newspaper. Four years of reporting on deadline, editing hundreds of stories and collaborating across Student Media divisions gave me the experience I needed to truly be successful after graduation. Along the way, I made lifelong friends and professional connections that are invaluable. If you are even remotely interesting in joining one of our divisions, give it a try — you won’t regret it.

–Lauren Gorla, digital producer, The Columbus (Georgia) Ledger-Enquirer (editor-in-chief of The George-Anne, 2015-2016)

How to get Involved

On the Armstrong and Liberty campuses:

We are excited to welcome The Inkwell student newspaper, an institution since 1935, into the Office of Student Media.

The George-Anne Inkwell edition
  • The George-Anne Inkwell edition publishes in print every Thursday during the fall and spring semesters. The staff also posts news to theinkwellonline.com.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Daniel Hayes, chief.inkwell@gmail.com.
  • The George-Anne Inkwell edition welcomes newcomers throughout the year. To learn more, email dsimpson@georgiasouthern.edu.

On the Statesboro campus:

New members are accepted during the first two weeks of every semester and go through a training program while also doing hands-on work. (The Public Relations and Marketing and Advertising Divisions may accept members at other times. Never hesitate to get in touch.)

Brief descriptions and training details for each Statesboro division in fall 2018 are below.

To apply to any Statesboro division, click here. 

For much more information about the Statesboro training programs, see the training programs tab above.

The George-Anne
  • The George-Anne Statesboro edition staff is responsible for daily reporting at thegeorgeanne.com and on social media, plus additional content for the weekly newspaper, The George-Anne Statesboro edition.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Matthew Enfinger, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Nine classes at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays from Aug. 28 through Oct. 23, plus one additional meeting in November TBA. (There also is a “boot camp” option to replace some of the classes, read our training details [hyperlink to candidate/intern handout] if interested.)

The George-Anne Reflector
  • The George-Anne Reflector Division publishes the George-Anne Reflector lifestyle magazine each semester, the Our House back-to-school guide each fall and lifestyle news every day at reflectorgsu.com.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Blakeley Bartee, magseditor@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Same as The George-Anne, see above. (These divisions draw from the same applicant pool.)

The George-Anne Studio (previously The Circle)
  • The George-Anne Studio focuses on video and multimedia journalism and posts every day to thecirclegsu.com.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Brandon Wright, thecircle@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: About a dozen classes at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Aug. 28.

Creative
  • The Creative Division produces The George-Anne Statesboro edition weekly newspaper, selecting and designing material produced by all divisions. It also supplies photography, news design and advertising design to all Student Media platforms, including magazines.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Rebecca Hooper, PRODmgr@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Separate classes for designers and for photographers. Each will have classes at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Aug. 28. The number of classes will be determined later.

Public Relations and Marketing
  • The Public Relations and Marketing Division produces events, partners with other divisions to engage more students and gets the weekly newspaper into the hands of students.
  • Public Relations and Marketing Manager: Haley Clark, SMmarketing@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training:  Boot camps (a two-hour session on a Friday) will be arranged via Google Calendar with all attendees.

Advertising
  • The Advertising Division sells print and digital advertising to local businesses and on-campus clients. Students receive training in professional sales techniques and earn commission.
  • Advertising Manager: Kenyatta Brown, ads1@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Boot camps (a two-hour session on a Friday) will be arranged via Google Calendar with all attendees.

Office of Student Media training programs – Statesboro Campus – Fall 2018

(Note: For information about joining The George-Anne Inkwell edition, serving the Armstrong and Liberty campuses, email dsimpson@thegeorgeanne.com.)

To apply to any Statesboro division, go to http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/student-media/join-student-media/

All classes described below are roughly an hour unless stated otherwise. These classes do not count as credit hours for completion of your degree, except as noted for certain majors in advertising and marketing training.

Editorial Candidate Program

Who should attend? Students who wish to apply for reporting positions with The George-Anne Statesboro edition (newspaper) or Reflector (magazine).

When are the classes? You will attend nine classes at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays from Aug. 28 through Oct. 23, plus one additional meeting in November TBA.

What if I already have some experience? The “boot camp” option is recommended ONLY for students who have prior experience such as a high school newspaper or yearbook or other experience interviewing people. An Editorial Boot Camp will be held from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 24. Students who complete the boot camp may skip the first six Tuesday night classes. For more information, click the box below.

What else is required? You also must work a regular weekly shift of at least one hour on the daily desk for thegeorgeanne.com, and you will be expected to work on story assignments outside of class and the newsroom shifts. You may also be required to attend some staff meetings, but your editors will allow flexibility to accommodate your class schedule, etc.

What will I learn in the classes? How the daily desk works, interviewing skills, how to select topics for your audience, how to present information in a way that will interest your audience on their smartphones, guidelines for fairness and accuracy, legal and ethical basics, how to successfully apply for a staff position.

Videography Candidate Program

Who should attend? Students who wish to apply for video reporter positions with The George-Anne Studio, formerly The Circle (thecirclegsu.com).

When are the classes? You will attend about a dozen classes at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning Aug. 29. (A small number of classes will be held on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays when you are in joint training with the Editorial Candidate Program.)

What else is required? You are required to work a minimum of two office hours per week in the Circle office. During these two hours you will be required to interact with students on campus via social media, practice filming and editing videos and/or help current staff members film or edit videos.

What will I learn in the classes? You will learn how to conduct on-camera interviews, the basics of filming, how to utilize social media in an interactive way, and how to edit videos.

Design Candidate Program

Who should attend? Students who wish to apply for advertising and page design positions with the Creative Division.

When are the classes? You will attend classes at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Aug. 28. The number of classes will be determined later.

What else is required?

• Time and dedication
  • Willingness to learn
  • Attendance

What will I learn in the classes?

• How to use the basic design programs (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop)
  • How to employ good design skills to modernize the George Anne or Reflector and increase readership

Photography Candidate Program

Who should attend? Students who wish to apply for photography positions with the Creative Division.

What else is required? You must also work a regular weekly shift of at least one hour taking photos as assigned.

What will I learn in the classes? Those in the class will learn how to operate a camera and basic photography skills to take the best pictures for our products.

Sales Candidate Program

Who should attend? Students wishing to work in the Advertising Division.

When are the classes? Boot camps (a two-hour session on a Friday) will be arranged via Google Calendar with all attendees.

What else is required? Those who complete the boot camp will immediately work alongside current account executives and begin selling. Meetings with the Business Coordinator will be set via Google Calendar.

What will I learn? In a boot camp, potential interns will learn about how the division operates and the 7-step sales process. Interns will participate in mock sales pitches. Other topics may include any software needed for an intern to be successful in the division and operations.

Will I receive academic credit? Academic credit can be given for business major/minor internship credit.

Marketing Internship Program

Who should attend? Students wishing to work in the Public Relations and Marketing Division.

What else is required? Those who complete the boot camp will work a minimum of six hours on individualized projects for the semester as assigned by the PR/Marketing Manager. Interns must attend weekly division meetings and monthly meetings with the Business Coordinator.

What will I learn in the classes? Interns will learn the basics of the marketing division and how it operates, our clients, and our audience. Those in the program will also learn about any technical software needed to operate in the division and available jobs.

Will I receive academic credit? Academic credit can be given for business major/minor internship credit and public relations internship credit.

Last updated: 8/6/2018

Student Media • PO Box 8001 • (912) 478-7459