Join us!

The George-Anne Media Group

The Office of Student Media provides opportunities for students of all majors to get involved on campus and to serve their community. What will you do and learn? Listen to some graduates:

Testimonials

I still remember the first time I walked into the Student Media offices. It was also my first day on campus. I left that meeting with my first story for the Southern Reflector, lifelong friends and I started a journalism career that has taken me around the country doing what I love. You might have a chance to be editor of The George-Anne while you’re here. You’ll certainly become a part of a great organization and you’ll enrich your life in the process.

–Charles Minshew, director of data services at Investigative Reporters and Editors, Columbia, Missouri (Student Media staff member 2008-2011, George-Anne editor-in-chief, 2010-2011)

You have to work with a lot of different people from a lot of different backgrounds and levels of knowledge, so it really forces you to get along and also learn how to teach as you go. … I feel like college is really good at teaching you the material, but Student Media was really good at teaching you how to implement that material.

–Heather Youmans, associate producer for creative services, Sirius XM, New York (Student Media staff member 2014-2016, editor-in-chief of Creative Division 2015-2016)

Student Media was my first experience with the real world applications of design and the joy of seeing your work, along with the work of so many other people, come together into something everyone can be proud of. The experience with real deadlines, real challenges and solutions that require real thought and consideration was indispensable in my preparation for being a working graphic designer in the professional world.

–Jose Ramon Gil III, owner, Gil Creative LLC, Atlanta (Student Media staff member 2012-2014, production manager 2013-2014)

Student Media taught me about building relationships, meeting deadlines, page design, journalism ethics and more. Without student media, I don’t think I would fully understand or appreciate the important role of a journalist.

Jackie Gutknecht, editor and publisher, The Covington (Georgia) News (Student Media staff member 2011-2014, George-Anne managing editor 2013)

I think Student Media really prepared me for the real world by helping me grow in my communication. And how to lead a small group or team and how to communicate with superiors. It also taught me professionalism and how to present myself in the workplace and how to collaborate with others. … It’s cheesy to say, but I have lifelong friends.

–Cydney Long, flight attendant, American Airlines, New York (Student Media staff member 2014-2016, Marketing Division manager, 2015-2016)

Interviewing was a big part of it. As someone who wasn’t a traditional journalism major, that’s something that was helpful. … Not just for interviewing for articles but also interviewing for jobs and talking to people in general. And what I learned outside of my specific job — design, videography, photography. Just being in that same space helped me pick up something I wouldn’t have received otherwise. It made me very well-rounded.

–Ian Leonard, marketing assistant, HarperCollins Publishers, New York (Student Media staff member 2014-2018, editor-in-chief of The George-Anne Print Division, 2016-2017)

Student Media gave me access to a lot of tools and professional experience in a kind of sandbox environment, meaning there’s room to grow, room to try different things and room to make mistakes. And through those experiences I was able to connect with real world professionals. I was able to use legit software and able to network with other students and journalists around the country to figure out my career path and take those real skills and use them in my career now.

–Jeff Licciardello, marketing director, Vinepair.com, New York (Student Media staff member 2013-2017, editor-in-chief of Reflector magazine 2014-2016)

It helped me tremendously. I became used to a newsroom environment. It taught me responsibility and time management and gave me the skills I needed to be successful transitioning from college to the workforce, such as editing, writing, social media management, teamwork, etc.

–Shakeem Holloway, digital content manager, Chattanooga (Tennessee) Times Free Press (Student Media staff member 2012-2014, George-Anne sports editor 2013-2014)

Student Media has helped my career in every facet at every step of my career thus far. … It is arguably the most valuable thing I did at Georgia Southern.

–Phillip Scroggin, business development manager, Progressive Technology Inc., Bluffton, South Carolina (Student Media sales representative 2011-2012)

Being in student media helped prepare me to work in a newsroom. I understood the different roles that each person played and the value they brought to the newsroom. .. Student Media served as a catapult for my journalism career.

Kimeko McCoy, social media editor, AdWeek magazine, New York (Student Media staff member 2012-2014, George-Anne features editor 2013)

Student Media prepared me for management early on and taught me how to collaborate across departments with designers, sales/business and editorial staff. This is a key skill I utilize today working on a marketing team. I’m also a manager now in my current role and found the leadership training courses and experience directly overseeing the outcome of a department at Student Media very valuable to what I do now.”

–Marissa Martin, campaign manager, ABM Industries, Atlanta (Student Media staff member 2011-2014, Marketing Division manager 2013-2014)

“It helped me learn how to juggle lots of things at once. I learned weaknesses while working with others. I don’t have to control everything.”

–Chloe (Douglas) James, attorney, Slepian Schwartz and Landgaard, Peachtree City, Georgia (Student Media staff member 2012-2014, Business Division manager 2013-2014)

Student Media definitely helped me get acclimated to the newsroom environment. When I was interviewing for jobs that was a thing I heard from hirers a lot: “You sound like you know your way around a newsroom.” It was also helpful in getting me out of my comfort zone. I feel like a lot of college students end up in a bubble of mostly people their age aside from professors. Student Media had me interacting with older adults in a professional setting.

–Shelby Farmer, news design team leader, Chattanooga (Tennessee) Times Free Press (Student Media staff member 2012-2014, George-Anne editor-in-chief 2013-2014.)

Student Media taught me how to work with others as well as how to manage others. It built my resume up and helped get my foot in the door of my first job.

–Casey Cargle, account coordinator, Rountree Group Integrated Communications, Milton, Georgia (Student Media staff member 2013-2107, George-Anne Digital Division editor-in-chief, 2016-2017)

It allowed me to explore some of the professional aspects of the journalism profession I wouldn’t have necessarily learned in my journalism classes. It taught me how to be a leader and prepared me to become a journalist.

–Jozsef Papp, news reporter, The Augusta (Georgia) Chronicle (Student Media staff member 2014-2018, George-Anne editor-in-chief 2017-2018)

My decision to join Student Media was one of the few smart decisions I made in college – I owe every connection and career opportunity I’ve had since graduating to it. What I learned working in the Williams Center took me from Southeast Georgia to working within a block of the Empire State Building. It turned a bumbling, unorganized sophomore into an employable adult.

Will Price, staff writer, Gear Patrol Magazine, New York (editor-in-chief of The George-Anne, 2014-2015)

“Not only did I learn valuable skills to add to my resume and create portfolio material I was proud to show future employers, but I also made great friends. Long after graduation, we continue to support each other in our careers and personal lives.”

–Peyton Callanan, marketing manager, 360 Smart Networks, Atlanta, Georgia (George-Anne and Reflector staff, 2012-2015)

The only thing more valuable than the hands-on experience you gain as a member of Student Media are the relationships you build along the way.

–Will Cheney, sports writer, The Augusta (Georgia) Chronicle (sports editor of The George-Anne, 2014)

Journalism classes alone would have never prepared me for working at a daily newspaper. Four years of reporting on deadline, editing hundreds of stories and collaborating across Student Media divisions gave me the experience I needed to truly be successful after graduation. Along the way, I made lifelong friends and professional connections that are invaluable. If you are even remotely interesting in joining one of our divisions, give it a try — you won’t regret it.

–Lauren Gorla, digital producer, The Columbus (Georgia) Ledger-Enquirer (editor-in-chief of The George-Anne, 2015-2016)

How to get Involved

On the Armstrong and Liberty campuses:

We are excited to welcome The Inkwell student newspaper, an institution since 1935, into the Office of Student Media.

The George-Anne Inkwell edition
  • The George-Anne Inkwell edition publishes in print every Thursday during the fall and spring semesters. The staff also posts news to theinkwellonline.com.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Madison Watkins, chief.inkwell@gmail.com.
  • The George-Anne Inkwell edition welcomes newcomers throughout the year. To apply, click here.
  • To learn more, email dsimpson@georgiasouthern.edu.

On the Statesboro campus:

New members are accepted during the first two weeks of every semester and go through a training program while also doing hands-on work. Recruiting begins in the previous semester. (The Public Relations and Marketing Division and Advertising Division may accept members at other times. Never hesitate to get in touch.)

Brief descriptions and training details for each Statesboro division in fall 2019 are below.

To apply to any Statesboro division, click here.

For much more information about the Statesboro training programs, see the training details tab above.

The George-Anne
  • The George-Anne Statesboro edition staff is responsible for daily reporting at thegeorgeanne.com and on social media, plus additional content for the weekly newspaper, The George-Anne Statesboro edition.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Matthew Enfinger, gaeditor@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Fall 2019 training will include approximately eight one-hour classes at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 3. (There also is a “boot camp” option to replace some of the classes, see more information in the “Training Details” tab.)
The George-Anne Reflector
  • The George-Anne Reflector Division publishes the George-Anne Reflector lifestyle magazine each semester, the Our House back-to-school guide each fall and lifestyle news every day at reflectorgsu.com.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Blakeley Bartee, magseditor@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Same as The George-Anne, see above. (These divisions draw from the same applicant pool.)
The George-Anne Studio (previously The Circle)
  • The George-Anne Studio focuses on video and multimedia journalism and posts every day to The George-Anne Studio YouTube channel.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Brandon Wright, thecircle@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Fall 2019 training will include about a dozen one-hour classes at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 3. (Students who have taken certain Georgia Southern media production classes may be permitted to attend a “boot camp” rather than some weekly classes. See more information in the “Training Details” tab.)
Creative
  • The Creative Division produces The George-Anne Statesboro edition weekly newspaper, selecting and designing material produced by all divisions. It also supplies photography, news design and advertising design to all Student Media platforms, including magazines.
  • Editor-in-Chief: Rebecca Hooper, PRODmgr@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Fall 2019 training will include one-hour classes at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 3. (A proficiency test may be offered to replace some weekly classes, limited to students with certain design software and/or photography experience. See the application form for details.)
Public Relations and Marketing
  • The Public Relations and Marketing Division produces events and partners with other divisions to engage more students in person and through our products.
  • Public Relations and Marketing Manager: Kevin Rezac, SMmarketing@georgiasouthern.edu
  • Training: Two class times will be offered: 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 3; and 1:15 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning Sept. 4.
Advertising
  • The Advertising Division sells print and digital advertising to local businesses and on-campus clients. Students receive training in professional sales techniques and earn commission.
  • Advertising Manager: ads1@georgiasouthern.edu

Office of Student Media training programs – Statesboro Campus – Fall 2019

(Note: For information about joining The George-Anne Inkwell edition, serving the Armstrong and Liberty campuses, email dsimpson@thegeorgeanne.com.)

All classes described below are roughly an hour unless stated otherwise. These classes do not count as credit hours for completion of your degree, except as noted for certain majors in advertising and marketing training.

Editorial Candidate Program

Who should attend? Students who wish to apply for reporting positions with The George-Anne Statesboro edition (newspaper) or Reflector (magazine).

When are the classes? Classes are held from 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 3.  If you want to attend, please avoid scheduling classes or other activities at that time.

What if I already have some experience? The “boot camp” option is recommended ONLY for students who have prior experience such as a high school newspaper or yearbook or other experience interviewing people. An Editorial Boot Camp will be held from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6. Students who complete the boot camp may skip four Tuesday night classes and then will attend four Tuesday night classes beginning Oct. 15. Those who cannot attend Tuesday night classes will be offered makeup assignments and meetings.

What else is required? You also must work a regular weekly shift of at least one hour on the daily desk for thegeorgeanne.com, and you will be expected to work on story assignments outside of class and the newsroom shifts. You may also be required to attend some staff meetings, but your editors will allow flexibility to accommodate your class schedule, etc.

What will I learn in the classes? How the daily desk works, interviewing skills, how to select topics for your audience, how to present information in a way that will interest your audience on their smartphones, guidelines for fairness and accuracy, legal and ethical basics, how to successfully apply for a staff position.

Videography Candidate Program

Who should attend? Students who wish to apply for video reporter positions with The George-Anne Studio.

When are the classes? Classes are held from 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 3.  If you want to attend, please avoid scheduling classes or other activities at that time. NO EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.

What if I already have some experience? Students who have completed specific media production classes may attend a “boot camp” and skip most Tuesday night classes. The Studio Boot Camp will be held from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6. You must have completed three classes: Comm 2332 Media and Society; MMFP 2331 Multimedia Production; and MMFP 2336 Audio Recording and Sound Design. In addition, you must have completed or be enrolled in Fall 2019 in MMFP 3331 Single Camera Production.

What else is required? You are required to work a minimum of two office hours per week in the Studio office. During these two hours you will be required to interact with students on campus via social media, practice filming and editing videos and/or help current staff members film or edit videos.

What will I learn in the classes? You will learn how to conduct on-camera interviews, the basics of filming, how to utilize social media in an interactive way, and how to edit videos.

Creative Candidate Program

Who should attend? Students who wish to apply for photography or design positions with the Creative Division.

When are the classes? Classes are held from 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Jan. 29.  If you want to attend, please avoid scheduling classes or other activities at that time.

What if I already have some experience? Students who are proficient in InDesign software and/or camera operation and photo software may take a proficiency test and exempt some Tuesday night classes. Please check this option on the application form to receive details.

What else is required? Photography candidates must also work a regular weekly shift of at least one hour taking photos as assigned. Design candidates will work assigned shifts designing pages.

What will I learn in the classes?

• How to use the basic design programs (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop)
  • How to employ good design skills and increase readership
  • Basic photography skills

Business Internship Candidate Program (Sales, Public Relations, Marketing)

Who should attend? Students wishing to work/intern in the the Sales Division and the Marketing/Public Relations Division of the George-Anne Media Group.

When are the classes? Two class times will be offered: 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 3; and 1:15 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning Sept. 4. If you want to attend, please avoid scheduling classes or other activities during the time you select on your application form.

What else is required? Field and in-office assignments to learn sales and marketing skills.

What will I learn? How the division operates and the 7-step sales process, marketing plans and public relations strategies. Interns will participate in mock sales pitches. Other topics may include branding, target marketing, audience engagement, any software needed for an intern to be successful in the division and operations.

Will I receive academic credit? Academic credit is available for marketing and public relations majors. Cooperative Internship credit is available for all majors through the Office of Career and Professional Development.

Last updated: 4/25/2019

Student Media • PO Box 8001 • (912) 478-7459