Tier 2: Team-based Leadership
Team-based leadership with Tier 2 in Southern Leaders expands on the work done in the previous Tier to include servant leadership through team-based community service. Students will engage in activities that will develop their leadership practice within a team setting through the Southern Leaders Team Challenge. Group dynamics, team leadership, strengths-based leadership, communication, and conflict resolution will all be covered through this tier of the program. Students will engage with Tier 2: Team-based Leadership through the following:
- LEAD 2000: Collaborative Leadership
- Participation and completion of the Southern Leaders Team Challenge
- Complete the Second Portion of Your Leadership Portfolio
Students will be able to:
- Describe the stages of group development and identify them in a team setting
- Understand their personal themes of talent and those of others and identify the leadership domains to which those themes belong
- Apply their understanding of themes of talent and leadership domains to develop effective teams
- Recognize that to be effective, teams should create inclusive spaces and view diversity as an asset to the team
- Discuss how they would apply team members’ strengths to create and inspire a shared vision
- Illustrate their practice of leadership through team-based activities
Through Tier 2: Team-based Leadership, students will develop the following leadership competencies (Seemiller, 2014): Group Development, Listening, Conflict Negotiation, Productive Relationships, Others’ Contributions, Personal Contributions, and Collaboration.
Upon completion of the curricular elements of the Team-based Leadership Tier, students will receive the Team-based Leadership Certificate during the Southern Leaders Showcase.
Last updated: 8/2/2021