Skip to main content

Student FAQs

Where are you located?

We are located on the second floor of Cone Hall on the Statesboro campus and on the second floor of the Memorial College Center on the Armstrong campus.  The Armstrong campus also serves students on the Liberty campus.

Do you test for AD/HD or Learning Disabilities?

Our office does not perform the evaluations.  However, students who would like to have a full, psychoeducational evaluation can meet with one of our professional staff members to facilitate that process.

What accommodations and services are offered to students with disabilities?

Our office is responsible for assisting students in the implementation of accommodations for which they are eligible.  We ensure that students with conditions affecting their access to academics, classrooms, buildings, housing, or any other aspect of campus life have an equal opportunity to participate as any other student.  This is achieved through a variety of accommodations and services.  Some of these services include: accommodation letters for faculty, test proctoring services, provision of books in alternate formats, note-taking accommodations, equipment loans, remote captioning services, sign language interpreters, early registration, and faculty consultation.  Accommodations are determined on an individualized basis.

What do I have to do to get accommodations if I have a disability?

In order to receive services, you need to voluntarily declare that you have a disability by filling out the Application for Services.  SARC will then contact you to schedule a meeting with one of our staff members.  Students are responsible for providing documentation of a disability. The  Board of Regents’ documentation standards can be found on their webpage.

If I need a refrigerator in my room for medication, what do I do?

Have your doctor/medical provider complete the Housing form: Housing Accommodations Request Form. This form is not an online form. It should be printed, filled out by the licensed treatment provider and returned to SARC as noted on the form.

What types of disabilities do the students you work with have?

We provide services for students with a variety of conditions that affect their daily college life including: Acquired Brain Injuries, ADD or AD/HD, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Communication Disorders, Hearing Impairment, Learning Disabilities, Mobility Impairment, Psychological Disorders, Systemic Medical Disorders and Visual Impairment.  If you’re not sure if you have a disability, please schedule an appointment to meet with one of our professional staff members for a consultation.

How much will it cost for me to be evaluated?

There are several ways that a student can receive a full psychoeducational evaluation.  If you would like to be evaluated, please schedule an appointment to meet with one of our professional staff members who will guide you through that process.

Can I get my medication from you?

The Student Accessibility Resource Center does not provide any type of services related to medication.  Please schedule an appointment to meet with one of our professional staff members who will refer you to appropriate on- or off-campus resources.

Do I have to have an appointment?

The Student Accessibility Resource Center offers one-on-one appointments to best serve student needs. If you are ready to meet with us, call our Statesboro office at 912-478-1566 or our Armstrong office at 912-344-2572. We offer in-person, virtual, and phone meetings, and appointments typically last between thirty minutes and one hour.

Do you offer tutoring?

Our office does not offer specific tutoring.  The Academic Success Center offers a variety of tutoring and workshop services.  However, our professional staff members are available to meet with students individually to help ensure their specific needs/goals are being addressed.

Do I need paperwork from my doctor stating that I have a disability?

You may view the Board of Regents standards for documentation of disabilities.  In most cases, documentation from a licensed professional is needed.  Please contact our office to schedule a first visit if you have further questions.

What do I need to bring to my first visit?

Bringing a copy of your most recent documentation from a licensed professional to your first visit will be helpful.  However, please make an appointment to meet with one of our our disability service providers if you need assistance with obtaining documentation.

Last updated: 1/2/2024