Minority Advisement Program (MAP)
About the Program
The Minority Advisement Program (MAP) is a peer mentoring program that helps first-year and transfer students transition into Georgia Southern University. MAP matches freshmen and transfer students (MAPees) with upperclassmen (MAP Sponsors) to assist with their acclimation to college life and Georgia Southern University.
MAPees join a small group led by a competitively-selected and trained MAP Sponsor. The Sponsor serves as a mentor and a friend, guiding participants by making them aware of campus resources and opportunities, encouraging academic success, arranging social gatherings, and more. MAP relationships enhance the Georgia Southern experience and deepen the commitment to scholarship and success. MAP Sponsors and mentees are matched according to academic major, interests, and other combinations of strengths and areas of improvement. MAPees with undecided majors work with MAP Sponsors who help them explore their academic and career options.
Become a MAP Sponsor
MAP sponsors are chosen each spring semester through a highly competitive selection process. They are a group of upperclassmen students who work together to facilitate a smooth transition to Georgia Southern University for first-year students. MAP Sponsors assist MAPees with activities & decisions which include but are not limited to: academic coursework, social activities & events, selecting classes, and learning their way around the University.
**We are not currently accepting applications for MAP Sponsors.
MAP Sponsor Expectations
- Have completed a least one semester of coursework at Georgia Southern University
- Must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking student at Georgia Southern University
- Must in good judicial standing
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of application to be maintained
throughout the position
- Possess the qualities of a good role model
- Exhibit leadership potential
- Be eager to improve leadership and teamwork skills
- Be able to work effectively with a diverse group of team members
- Committed to promoting diversity, inclusion, and fairness
MAP Sponsor Responsibilities
- Contact MAPees a minimum of once per week
- Attend MAP Training in the fall (week before classes)
- Plan at least three group activities for MAPees per semester (academic, social & social responsibility)
- Attend bi-weekly MAP team meetings
- Assist in recruiting MAPees
- Other tasks assigned by MAP Coordinator and/or MSC staff
Become a MAPee
MAPees are freshmen or transfer students with less than 30 credit hours. Prospective freshmen or transfer students should complete an online application by August 21, 2020. The program’s Coordinator and Graduate Assistant will review your application and pair you with a MAP Sponsor (mentor) according to your interests, majors, high school activities and hometown.
Click here to complete the MAPee Application!
*Check back for Fall 2020 events
Office: 2nd floor, Russell Union #2070
P: (912) 478-5409
Ms. Alethia Harrison
MAP Graduate Assistant
Last updated: 7/22/2020