Minority Advisement Program (MAP)
About the Program
The Minority Advisement Program (MAP) is a unique college mentoring/success program for minority incoming students (a.k.a. MAPees) that match freshmen and transfer students with upperclassmen to assist with their acclimation to college life. The program helps students make the transition from either high school or from another college to Georgia Southern as smoothly as possible. MAPees join a small group led by a competitively-selected, trained, upperclassmen student (MAP Sponsor). The Sponsor serves as a mentor and a friend, guiding participants by making them aware of campus resources and opportunities, encouraging academic success, and arranging social gatherings. MAP friendships enhance the Georgia Southern experience and deepen the commitment to scholarship and success. MAP Sponsors and mentees are matched according to academic major; undecided majors work with MAP Sponsors who help them explore their academic and career options.
Become a MAP Sponsor
MAP sponsors are chosen each spring semester through a highly competitive selection process. They are a group of upperclassmen students who work together to facilitate a smooth transition to Georgia Southern University for first-year students. MAP Sponsors assist MAPees with activities & decisions which include but are not limited to: academic coursework, social activities & events, selecting classes, and learning their way around the University.
MAP Sponsor Expectations
- Have completed a least one semester of coursework at Georgia Southern University
- Must be enrolled as a full-time, degree-seeking student at Georgia Southern University
- Must in good judicial standing
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of application to be maintained
throughout the position
- Possess the qualities of a good role model
- Exhibit leadership potential
- Be eager to improve leadership and teamwork skills
- Be able to work effectively with a diverse group of team members
- Committed to promoting diversity, inclusion, and fairness
MAP Sponsor Responsibilities
- Contact MAPees a minimum of once per week
- Attend MAP Training in the fall (week before classes)
- Plan at least three group activities for MAPees per semester (academic, social & social responsibility)
- Attend bi-weekly MAP team meetings
- Assist in recruiting MAPees
- Other tasks assigned by MAP Coordinator and/or MSC staff
Become a MAPee
Perspective freshmen or transfer students should complete an application online prior to orientation. Provided there is still room in the program, students will also have the opportunity to sign up during orientation. The Program Coordinator and Graduate Assistant will review your application and pair you with a MAP Sponsor (mentor) according to your interests, majors, high school activities and hometown. MAP Sponsors will contact mentees during July and August; introduce themselves and welcome you to the University.
Click here to complete the MAPee Application!
*Check back for Fall 2019 events
Office: 2nd floor, Russell Union #2070
P: (912) 478-5409
Ms. Chaverle Noel
MAP Graduate Assistant
MAP Sponsor Application
**We are not currently accepting applications for MAP Sponsors.
Last updated: 6/4/2019