Program Information: Paid Internship
Students selected to participate in the Georgia Legislative Internship Program, will intern in the House, Senate or one of the legislative offices in Atlanta, Georgia. The internship period corresponds with the annual session of the General Assembly during Spring semester. The session begins in January and, with the usual budget recesses, concludes between late-March and mid-April. During the week prior to the convening of the legislature, an orientation for interns is held at the Capitol.
Important Dates: (This is a Spring Semster internship.)
- Application Deadline – September 15
- Candidate Interview: Week of November 7
- Intern Interviews: Tuesday, December 13 and Wednesday, December 14, 2016
- Orientation: January 4 through Friday, January 6, 2017
- First Day for Legislative Session: Monday, January 9, 2017
- Internship is full-time. Work Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm and some night and weekend events.
- Most interns are assigned to a standing committee in the House or Senate. Some may be assigned to legislative offices.
- Responsibilities all include researching bills or issues before the General Assembly, working with a legislative committee, monitoring the progress of legislation, and other duties as assigned by the committee.
- Above all, interns have the valuable opportunity to witness the lawmaking process first-hand.