Early Voting Volunteer Opportunity

Georgia Southern University, Russell Union (Ballroom), Oct. 25-27, 2022

Volunteers will be responsible for ensuring that the Russell Union stays a campaign-free zone from Tuesday, October 25, 2022 – Thursday, October 27, 2022.  Volunteers will be stationed at various exterior doors to make sure campaign materials (including t-shirts, hats, buttons, etc.) do not enter the building during Early Voting.  Volunteers will also be checking the perimeter of the Russell Union to ensure campaigning does not happen within 150 feet of the building.

See the following link for a diagram of this area.

150 foot buffer on Early Voting Days

How do I sign up to volunteer?

If you would like to be a student volunteer for the early voting at the Russell Union please click the following link and review the information below.   VOLUNTEER SIGN UP

Volunteer Information:

Specific instructions for volunteers will be emailed prior to the start of Early Voting on Tuesday, October 25.  All volunteers should check their email to make sure they are familiar with the process.

Where do I check-in for my shift?

Please check-in for your volunteer shift near the Russell Union Ballroom. Look for a table with a Volunteer Check-In sign.   

Why do we need volunteers for the days of early voting?

We need volunteers to help manage the expectation of no campaigning or campaign materials entering the Russell Union or being within the 150 foot perimeter of the building.  This is due to this space being designated an early voting polling location.

How long am I needed?

We will have 2 hour blocks of time for volunteers to sign up.  A volunteer will monitor a door and take walks outside of the building to make sure the 150 foot requirement for campaign materials is being respected.  A volunteer can sign-up for more than one shift during the days.

What should I wear to volunteer at the Russell Union on the days of early voting?

Volunteers should wear a Georgia Southern shirt for their shift.  Please wear comfortable shoes as you will be on your feet! Upon arrival, you will also be given a Volunteer armband to identify you as a volunteer for the event.  Please also bring a mask to wear inside the building and when you cannot maintain proper social distancing.  

What should I bring with me to my volunteer shift?

You should bring a mask if you felt comfortable, positive attitude and smile. Masks/facial coverings are not required for any students/faculty/staff/visitor while on the Georgia Southern campus. You may also want to bring an umbrella or any personal items you may need during your shift.

Will there be staff at the Russell Union on the days of early voting for me to get support from with my volunteer responsibilities?

Yes, staff will be available all day during the early voting at an information table outside of the Russell Union Ballroom.  They will be able to assist you if there are any issues you encounter while on your volunteer shift.

How do I log my volunteer hours?

After you complete your volunteer shift, you can log your hours through Eagle Engage.  For specific details on how to log your hours, please visit the Office of Leadership & Community Engagement.  Please list Emily Tanner (etanner@georgiasouthern.edu) as your verifying contact.

Please call Jodi Kennedy in Leadership & Community Engagement for any other questions regarding volunteering at (912) 478-1435 or by email at jmiddleton@georgiasouthern.edu.

Want to become a poll worker?

Sign up to be a poll worker in your community today!

Last updated: 10/14/2022