Safe Space is a campus-wide initiative offering a visible message of inclusion, acceptance, and support to individuals of LGBTQ+ and diverse gender and/or sexualities in the university community. The program offers participants an interactive two-hour orientation to raise awareness and knowledge of gender and sexuality issues and to suggest ways to for folks to continually serve as an ally. Following the orientation, participants receive a Safe Space decal to display in their work or living space.
By displaying the Safe Space decal, faculty, staff, and students pledge to:
- Strive toward continued development, learning, awareness, and action, and to search for further ways of understanding LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Promote an environment where members of the LGBTQ+ community do not have to censor their identities.
- Promote an atmosphere where members of the LGBTQ+ community can participate fully, equally, and openly in campus life without fear of discrimination and/or harassment.
- Promote a safe and affirming place for LGBTQ+ people by offering an atmosphere and personal relationship of respect, fairness, and trust.
- Serve as a resource of information for students, faculty, and staff having questions about LGBTQ+ issues, and be willing to refer students to support and resources on campus and in the community.
- Maintain confidentiality.
For more information on the Safe Space program, please contact the Office of Inclusive Excellence
Last updated: 7/15/2022