Safe Space is a campus-wide initiative offering a visible message of inclusion, acceptance, and support to individuals of LGBTQ+ and diverse gender and/or sexualities in the university community. The program offers participants an interactive two-hour orientation to raise awareness and knowledge of gender and sexuality issues and to suggest ways to for folks to continually serve as an ally. Following the orientation, participants receive a Safe Space decal to display in their work or living space.
By displaying the SAFE SPACE decal, ally administrators, faculty, staff, and students identify themselves as safe, educated, and aware people and pledge to:
- Strive toward continued development, learning, awareness, and action, and to search for further ways of understanding LGBTQ individuals.
- Promote an environment where members of the LGBTQ community do not have to censor their identities.
- Promote an atmosphere where members of the LGBTQ community can participate fully, equally, and openly in campus life without fear of discrimination and/or harassment.
- Promote a safe and affirming place for LGBTQ people by offering an atmosphere and personal relationship of respect, fairness, and trust.
- Serve as a resource of information for students, faculty, and staff having questions about LGBTQ issues, and be willing to refer students to support and resources on campus and in the community.
- Maintain confidentiality.
Spring 2022 Dates
|Friday, January 14th, 2022||1:00 PM – 3:00 PM||Counseling Center – Statesboro|
|Monday, January 31st, 2022||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Counseling Center – Statesboro|
|Wednesday, February 2nd, 2022||2:00 PM – 4:00 PM||Zoom|
|Wednesday, February 9th, 2022||9:00 AM – 11:00 AM||Counseling Center – Statesboro|
|Tuesday, February 15th, 2022||5:30 PM – 7:30 PM||Zoom|
|Monday, March 7th, 2022||1:00 PM – 3:00 PM||Zoom|
|Tuesday, March 17th, 2022||9:00 AM – 11:00 AM||Counseling Center – Statesboro|
|Monday, April 4th, 2022||5:30 PM – 7:30 PM||Zoom|
|Friday, April 8th, 2022||9:00 AM – 11:00 AM||Counseling Center – Statesboro|
|Tuesday, April 19th, 2022||2:00 PM – 4:00 PM||Counseling Center – Statesboro|
|Monday, May 2nd, 2022||10:00 AM – 12:00 PM||Counseling Center – Statesboro|
To find upcoming trainings and register, please visit training.georgiasouthern.edu and click the “Student Affairs” option on the left menu
Last updated: 1/18/2022