Georgia Southern University students with internships and co-ops are highlighted in the Internship Spotlight series on the Office of Career and Professional Development homepage and social media pages.
Students participating in an internship or co-op may submit information about their experience, including a high-quality photo, for possible inclusion in posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and GeorgiaSouthern.edu/ocpd. Information presented is student-submitted, with additional details provided by internship coordinators and company representatives.
Lanier Moore, Senior, Child and Family Development – Child Life
- Year and Major: Senior, majoring in Child & Family Development with an emphasis in Child Life
- Internship Location: Child Life United
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: Her internship was truly unique as she had the opportunity to travel and intern with Child Life United based in Cape Town, South Africa! As a practicum student she was stationed at Red Cross War Memorial Children’s hospital. Her main responsibility was to enrich play experiences for children and families who were being hospitalized. Something interesting that Lanier learned was that the hospital was the only public children’s hospital in the Western Cape so several families had to travel very far to receive care. Lanier’s internship was a unique experience and she will be able to apply it in the future!
Rebecca Hooper, Senior, Marketing
- Year and Major: Senior, majoring in Marketing
- Internship Location: Nine Line Apparel
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: Rebecca had the opportunity to intern with Nine Line Apparel Co.in Savannah, Georgia. Her role within Nine Line Apparel Company was to work as a digital marketer/graphic designer. She was in charge of designing ads suited to appeal to specific markets and also researching exactly what catches the eye of the Nine Line Apparel audience.
- The Best Part: Rebecca says, “My ads have been seen by hundreds of thousands of people, and I can actually see the analytics for how much revenue they draw in, which is pretty cool!” Rebecca, way to go on a great internship!
Zachary Harris, Senior, Graphic Design
- Year and Major: Senior, majoring in Graphic Design
- Internship Location: GATALifestyle
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: Zachary is a senior, Graphic Design major who had the opportunity to design for GATALIFESTYLE. Through his internship he had the opportunity to design graphics for Georgia Southern football and plans to continue using the skills he learned later on in life. Zachary says, “ I have done graphic design since high school. I want to design skateboards or snowboards for a living one day.”
Mackenzie Tomlinson, Senior, Sports Management
- Year and Major: Senior, majoring in Sports Management
- Internship Location: Georgia Southern University Football Operations
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: Mackenzie had the amazing opportunity to serve as the director of football operations intern. Some of Mackenzie’s duties as an intern included: classroom checks on student athletes, recruiting at campus events, cmap registration, campus/facility tours, and submission of scholarship papers.
- The Best Part: On top of this, it is evident that Mackenzie is True Blue 100% because she has worked for Georgia Southern Athletics for almost four years now!
Caleb Ely, Senior, Information Technology
- Year and Major: Senior, majoring in Information Technology
- Internship Location: Georgia Southern University
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: Caleb, a senior Information Technology major, had the opportunity to intern right here in Statesboro,Georgia! Caleb interned with Georgia Southern University and during his internship had the task of writing Python code for the Georgia Southern web applications, including the public faculty/staff directory. Caleb gained valuable experience through his internship right here on campus.
Gregory Covin, Sophomore, Management
- Year and Major: Sophomore, majoring in Management
- Internship Location: Devore & Johnson
- Internship Position & Responsibilities:The Internship Program with MORSCO/ Devore & Johnson has given Gregory a meaningful learning experience with warehouse operations, product delivery, sales, and customer relationships/service. One of Gregory’s projects was that he had to set up and design the end cap for Milwaukee Tools.
- The Best Part:By learning all these things he says, “I’m gaining leadership, interpersonal skills, and MORSCO’s values.”
Greer Kerns, Senior, Public Relations
- Year and Major: Senior, majoring in Public Relations
- Internship Location: Alpha Delta Pi Executive Office, Atlanta, GA
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: Greer writes blog posts for the website, helps the administrative staff in preparing for an organizational re-brand, manages a social media calendar, schedulse tweets for future anniversaries of chapters, updates the Pinterest boards for the sorority, and assisted with the bi-annual Grand Convention in Las Vegas.
- The Best Part: Greer says the best part is that she gets to “live in our Executive Office with 7 others Interns in one big bunk room!”
Tandra Smith, Senior, Journalism
- Year and Major: Senior, majoring in Journalism
- Internship Location: Savannah Morning News in Savannah, GA
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: Tandra is a news intern for Savannah Morning News. As an intern, she helps out with daily operations around the newsroom. She has posted stories about arrests and indictments online, as well as edited and created podcasts for savannahnow.com. She also attends press conferences as needed.
- The Best Part: Recently Tandra had an article published in the front-page of the Savannah Morning News and was very excited about it!
Kyle Gilchrist, Senior, Political Science
- Year and Major: Senior studying Political Science
- Internship Location: Intern in Congressman Sanford Bishop’s Office in Washington, D.C. as part of the Legislative Internship Program.
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: Kyle conducted legislative research and drafted responses to constituent correspondence, presented analysis and briefings on current legislative and public policy issues, and drafted detailed outlines of notes from congressional hearings, briefings, and meetings. Kyle spent time drafting press clips and assisted with social media management. He also enjoyed serving as a tour guide for constituents and guests, and helped maintain the daily operations of the main office.
- The Best Part: Kyle says “the most exciting part of [his] internship was interacting with members of congress!” He added, “Having the ability to go virtually anywhere in the U.S. Capitol was definitely a perk.”
Miranda Rogers, Junior, Public Relations
- Year and Major: Junior studying Public Relations
- Internship Location: Sales Intern with C.H. Robinson in Savannah, GA.
- Internship Position & Responsibilities: C.H. Robinson is the largest third party logistics company (3PL) in North America. Miranda assists with the Strategic Sales Executive, who then sell to large customers. She attends and helps conduct business meetings, makes cold calls to potential customers, and learns about the logistics industry as a whole.
- The Best Part: Miranda says, “Working at C.H. Robinson, everyday is different which makes coming into the office even more exciting! So far, I have been on 2 different business trips to Atlanta. At one, I toured a distribution center of a large tire manufacturing company. At the other meeting, I learned about a potential customer’s supply chain, and about the problems they face. It has been so interesting to learn about sales techniques and strategies.”
Last updated: 5/5/2020