There is no major specific for each of our pre-professional programs. Students should pursue courses of study leading to a Bachelor’s Degree in academic areas chosen according to their interests and aptitudes.
Specific information for each pre-professional program is outlined below.
Pre-Medical / Pre-Dental Program
- Students with majors other than Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Psychology should be advised by Professor Jim Brasselton or Lisa Vance, COSM Advisement Center, in addition to the academic advisor in their chosen major.
- Students must be careful to complete courses required for acceptance into medical school as well as those courses required for their degrees.
|Pre-Medical Advisors||Pre-Dental Advisors|
||Biology Majors||Dr. David Rostal|
|Chemistry Majors||All Chemistry Faculty||Chemistry Majors||All Chemistry Faculty|
|Physics Majors||Dr. Clayton Heller||Physics Majors||Dr. Clayton Heller|
|Psychology Majors||Should consult with Dr. Amy Hackney||Other Majors||
- Students interested in Pre-Pharmacy typically do not complete a Bachelor Degree program at Georgia Southern University, but take courses appropriate for admission to professional schools.
- Georgia Southern University offers a two-year transfer program in Pre-Pharmacy. Students wanting to complete a degree in pharmacy in the minimum period of time should plan on transferring to a school of pharmacy no later than the summer following their sophomore year and should begin the transfer application process after the first year of undergraduate study.
- Some students may apply for admission to a pharmacy program at a later stage, such as following the completion of an undergraduate degree, provided they have met the admissions requirements.
- An additional 4 years in pharmacy school results in the Professional Pharm. D. Degree.
|Dr. Lance McBrayer|
- Students intending to prepare for Veterinary Medicine must select a course of study leading to a Bachelor’s degree in an academic area.
- Any major may be selected as long as the student is careful to complete courses required by the professional schools as well as those required for completion of the student’s Bachelor Degree program.
- Students must be advised by an academic advisor in their major area.
|Pre-Veterinary Medicine Advisors|
|Chemistry Majors||All Chemistry Faculty|
|Other Majors||COSM Advisement Center|
Note: For the most complete up-to-date information on these programs, information is available here.
Last updated: 5/21/2018