2020 BUILD Leader Application Information
The BUILD Program is a 5-day leader development and service program that connects incoming students to our campus and to the local Statesboro community. Students will volunteer each day with various community agencies and participate in a leadership education program in the evening. Participants will have the opportunity to meet other incoming students, and build friendships to provide the critical support network so essential to student success.
BUILD Leaders play an important role throughout the week of BUILD. Not only do they serve alongside the incoming freshmen, but they lead a small group of no more than 10 students. Throughout the week, BUILD Leaders will lead small groups to help students connect with the community around them, explore leadership topics, and build a strong network of support. BUILD Leaders continue to serve as a resource and source of support in the fall as students start their careers at Georgia Southern University.
Expectations of BUILD Leaders
- Be reliable, flexible, and committed to the position and the BUILD Program
- Possess excellent communication skills in order to lead small groups, work closely with Leadership & Community Engagement staff, and engage with Community Partners
- Display a willingness to be a positive team member and contribute to the overall success of the BUILD Program
- Commit to thoroughly preparing for the BUILD Leader role by learning the curriculum, pre-planning small groups, and asking questions whenever needed
- Take appropriate ownership of the BUILD program – This is NOT a drill! BUILD is leader development program, and you, too, will grow by stepping up and taking responsibility for the program
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Be enrolled as a full-time student in Fall 2020
- Positively represent yourself, Georgia Southern University, and the BUILD Program
- Serve as a role model for incoming students
- Lead small group sessions for BUILD participants
- Actively engage on service sites and with community partners during BUILD
- Maintain relationships with BUILD participants, specifically small group members, into the fall semester
1) Complete the application found here by Friday, October 18th at 5:00 p.m..
2) Have two references complete the Recommendation Forms found online here. *Note: References must be able to log into a Google mail account in order to complete the recommendation form.
3) Submit all application materials by Friday, October 18th at 5:00 p.m.
All applicants need to be available for a Group Interview on the week of October 28th. Details will be released soon.
An information session will be offered via Instagram Live on Thursday, October 10th at 3:30 p.m. on the office’s Instagram account – GSULeadServe
If you can’t make that time to view live, a recording of the Info Session will be posted on the account for later viewing.
- All BUILD Leaders must be available for the BUILD Leader Workshop on January 24-25, 2020
- All BUILD Leaders must be available for mandatory weekly training sessions on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. starting January 27, 2020
- BUILD will take place Sunday, July 19 – Thursday, July 23, 2020
- Leaders report Saturday, July 18 at 10:00 a.m.
Last updated: 10/8/2019