AB Leadership Roles
Site Leaders are one of the most crucial pieces of the Alternative Break (AB) program. As a student-led program, AB takes pride in our Site Leaders (SL) and the rich experience they bring to this para- professional role of the program.
All students that have participated on a break experience (weekend or week-long) during a previous semester are eligible to apply for the Site Leader position. SLs take an active role in educating and leading peers through a service experience focused on a social issue they are passionate about.
Site Leaders are held to a high standard and adhere to the expectations of the AB program as a whole. These expectations include:
- Cooperation with Coordinator of Alternative Breaks and Community Partnerships, co-site leader, and other site leaders.
- Remain flexible, open-minded, and responsible.
- Educating yourself and your participants about the issue relative to your site.
- Build and maintain a positive relationship with designated site and selected AB participants on your break.
- Commitment to the Alternative Break “no drugs or alcohol” policy
To learn more about the position contact any of our Alternative Break Board members.
Resident Scholars are faculty, staff and Graduate Students of Georgia Southern University. This role allows for rich and meaningful interactions with students outside of the office, classroom or events on campus. Resident Scholars live and work with the students in a hands-on, service-focused environment for a week or weekend of time within a new community.
Please Note: The break locations and organizations we work with are not posted on our website intentionally. They are kept secret and revealed to student participants at our Site Reveal event for each week-long break cycle of the year on the Statesboro campus. You are more than welcome to contact Brandi Hoffman (firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn more specific details about a break of interest before applying.
Benefits to Resident Scholars
- Mentorship experience
- Meet, network, and connect with other Georgia Southern University staff and faculty interested in student development
- Professional development opportunity and resume builder
- Recruiting tool for your program/center/college
- Free travel with students to a volunteer site outside of Southeast Georgia
- Hands-on learning and volunteer experience around complex social issues
Understanding the Position
To better understand the position commitments, duties and responsibilities before applying, please take a look at the Resident Scholar Position Description provided for you below.
How to Apply
All those interested in the role of Resident Scholar are welcome to submit their application via online application or paper application. Both applications are provided below. Resident Scholar applicants will be notified of their placement for the AB program within a week of submitting their application. These positions will be awarded on a first-come, first served basis.
Want to Learn More Before Applying?
For more information prior to submitting your application, check out the Resident Scholar FAQ’s page. For more detailed information such as break cycle social issues, locations, accommodations, organizations we will be working with, etc., please either read over the position description, plan to attend an Information Session, or contact Brandi Hoffman (email@example.com) to schedule a meeting or personal phone call.
- STATESBORO CAMPUS: Wednesday, January 16th from 1:30-2:30pm | Russell Union 2042
- STATESBORO CAMPUS: Tuesday, January 22nd from 11-12pm | Russell Union 2042
- ARMSTRONG CAMPUS: Wednesday, January 30th from 2-3pm | Student Union, Skidaway Conference Room
Guidance on Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Week-long Breaks: Travel days are Sundays & Fridays and travel hours vary depending on the location of the break. Monday-Thursday is full days of service.
- Weekend Breaks: Breaks travel on Friday @5:30pm. Saturday is a full day of service and Sunday morning service typically takes place until ~12:00pm. Weekend Breaks return on Sunday @3:30pm.
- The typical structure is a full 8 hours of work on service days.
Like us on Facebook: GA Southern Breakers
Find us on Instagram: @gasouthernbreakers
If you have any questions, please contact Brandi Hoffman at firstname.lastname@example.org or by dialing 912-478-1435.
Last updated: 1/8/2019