Alternative Break Board
Georgia Southern University’s Alternative Break Board strives to create a community of active citizens by empowering students to make a global impact through life-changing service opportunities.
What We Do
The Alternative Break Board is focused on broadening and expanding the number and scope of Alternative Breaks offered. Student leaders assume primary leadership for this initiative including identifying sites, raising funds, identifying faculty/staff partners, and developing pre-break education and post-break reflection. Positions on the Alternative Break Board are reserved for students who have participated in at least one Alternative Break experience at Georgia Southern.
Support Alternative Breakers!
Please support our efforts to provide more Alternative Break opportunities and to provide scholarships for students to participate. Donations can be made via check made payable to The Georgia Southern University Foundation, please include “Acct. #0757,” on the for/memo line and send to Alternative Break Program, PO Box 8114, Statesboro, GA 30460. Donations can also be made online at http://www.georgiasouthern.edu/foundation/ by listing “Account #0757” in the Comments/Designation box of the online form.
If you’ve ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes of Alternative Breaks, this is your chance! Our AB Board works closely with the Alternative Breaks program year round to make this a program for students, by students! If you’re interested in learning more, please join us for one of our AB Board panels this week. We will be hosting informational panels on Tuesday, April 9 @ 8:30 in the Williams Center MPR AND on Friday, April 12 @ 3:30 in Russell Union 2043.
AB Board Position Descriptions:
- Planning Alternative Break experiences
- This includes, but is not limited to: agencies serving with, housing, food, transportation, & estimated break budgets
- Communicate & collaborate with fellow Site Coordinator
- Educate Alternative Breaks board & Site Leaders about new & returning breaks
- Communicate break logistics to the Alternative Break coordinator
- Research & plan breaks with new Community Partners
- This includes collecting data on previous year’s issue interest & data on potential new interest from Alternative Breaks community
- Planning Site Review Night
- Coordinating a variety of Reorientation events for Alternative Breaks community
- These could be any type of event for the Alternative Breaks community to come together, such as Service Days, Coffee Hours, etc.
- Coordinating Alternative Breaks information sessions
- Working with previous Breakers & other members of the Alternative Breaks community to assist in marketing during Break cycles
- Assisting Site Leaders with coordination of post-break service
- Training Site Leaders to facilitate leadership development in breakers
- Educating the Alternative Breaks community about the Statesboro community
Public Relations Chair
- Developing partnerships with departments and organizations across campus
- Creating recruitment materials for Alternative Breaks
- Training members of the Alternative Breaks community to accurately talk about Alternative Breaks
- Creating a presence for Alternative Breaks in other spaces
- Managing Alternative Breaks social media presence
Event Management Coordinator
- THIS PERSON SHOULD BE DETAIL-ORIENTED, RESPONSIBLE, & ABLE TO CONSISTENTLY MAKE DEADLINES!
- Running and aiding in the facilitation of large scale Alternative Breaks events
- This includes getting the physical spaces related to the events (e.g., Williams Center MPR) ready for the event
- This also includes preparing and disseminating duty schedules to relevant team members
- Managing sign-up processes for Site Leaders and Board members
- Gathering individuals for tabling, Site Reveal, and Group Processing
- Maintaining and updating the Alternative Breaks calendar
- Create Adopt-A-Breaker letters
- Oversee Penny Wars competitions
- Facilitate the planning of small & large scale fundraisers for Alternative Breaks
- This includes, but is not limited to: contacting local businesses, delegating responsibilities to other members of the Alternative Break Board, ensuring that fundraisers are in line with the mission and values of Alternative Breaks
- Training Site Leaders and assisting in establishing fundraisers for Alternative Breaks teams
2018-2019 Alternative Break Board
Like us on Facebook: GA Southern Breakers
Find us on Instagram: @gasouthernbreakers
Last updated: 4/8/2019