2019 BUILD Leader Application Information
The BUILD Program is a 5-day leader development and service program that connects incoming students to our campus and to the local Statesboro community. Students will volunteer each day with various community agencies and participate in a leadership education program in the evening. Participants will have the opportunity to meet other incoming students, and build friendships to provide the critical support network so essential to student success.
BUILD Leaders play an important role throughout the week of BUILD. Not only do they serve alongside the incoming freshmen, but they lead a small group of no more than 10 students. Throughout the week, BUILD Leaders will lead small groups to help students connect with the community around them, explore leadership topics, and build a strong network of support. BUILD Leaders continue to serve as a resource and source of support in the fall as students start their careers at Georgia Southern University.
Expectations of BUILD Leaders
- Be reliable, flexible, and committed to the position and the BUILD Program
- Possess excellent communication skills in order to lead small groups, work closely with Leadership & Community Engagement staff, and engage with Community Partners
- Display a willingness to be a positive team member and contribute to the overall success of the BUILD Program
- Commit to thoroughly preparing for the BUILD Leader role by learning the curriculum, pre-planning small groups, and asking questions whenever needed
- Take appropriate ownership of the BUILD program – This is NOT a drill! BUILD is leader development program, and you, too, will grow by stepping up and taking responsibility for the program
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Be enrolled as a full-time student in Fall 2019
- Positively represent yourself, Georgia Southern University, and the BUILD Program
- Serve as a role model for incoming students
- Lead small group sessions for BUILD participants
- Actively engage on service sites and with community partners during BUILD
- Maintain relationships with BUILD participants, specifically small group members, into the fall semester
1) Print and complete the application found here or in the Office of Leadership and Community Engagement (Russell Union 1056).
2) Print and have two references complete the Recommendation Forms found here or in the Office of Leadership and Community Engagement.
3) Submit all application materials by Friday, November 16 at 5:00 p.m. to the Office of Leadership and Community Engagement.
All applicants need to be available for a Group Interview on Monday, November 26. There will be multiple time slots between 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. Everyone who participates in the Group Interview process will be e-mailed the evening of Monday, November 26. Those selected to continue in the process will then be asked to sign-up for an individual interview on November 27-November 30.
An information session will be held on Wednesday, November 7 at 7:00 p.m. in the Russell Union (Room 2048). Come to hear more about the position, the personal experiences of the returning BUILD Leaders, and get your questions answered about the position and the application process.
- All BUILD Leaders must be available for the BUILD Leader Workshop on January 25-26, 2019
- All BUILD Leaders must be available for mandatory weekly training sessions on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. starting January 14, 2019
- BUILD 1 will take place Sunday, July 14 – Thursday, July 18, 2019 (Leaders report Saturday, July 13 at 10:00 a.m.)
- BUILD 2 will take place Sunday, July 21 – Thursday, July 25, 2019 (Leaders report Sunday, July 20 at 10:00 a.m.)
Last updated: 10/23/2018