Sigma Gamma Rho
Sigma Gamma Rho was founded on November 12, 1922, at Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana.
It is the mission of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. to enhance the quality of life for women and their families in the U.S. and globally through community service, civil, and social action. Our goal is to achieve greater progress in the areas of education, health awareness, and leadership development. Our members, affiliates, staff, and community partners work to create and support initiatives that align with our vision.
We visualize a world in which all women and their families reach their full potential in all aspects of life and are able to create unlimited opportunities for future generations.
These values align with our vision and mission and represent the intent of our Founders. For the women of Sigma Gamma Rho, this means to always:
- Value the contributions of all members and affiliates– in unmatched collaboration.
- Embrace different perspectives. We do not compete against each other. Instead, we share an approach where all opinions and options are considered, researched, and analyzed carefully before decisions are made.
- Support each other to ensure Sorors are able to reach their full potential in any endeavor.
- Treat everyone in our diverse community with dignity-including, but not limited to current and potential Sorors, affiliates, staff, and partners.
- Adhere to the Sorority’s policies, procedures, training standards and behavior guidelines.
- Speak up and tell the truth as we see it with tact, regardless of the popularity of our views. When decisions are made, we support the outcome.
- Hold ourselves accountable for our actions. We offer no excuses, we accept responsibility.
- Adhere to the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, accountability and personal responsibility. When conducting Sigma business, we put the Sorority’s interest ahead of our own.
- Deliver the best outcomes and highest quality community service through the dedicated effort of every member. We deliver greater value than expected.
- Advance the free flow of accurate and truthful information through transparent communications.
- Foster informed decision-making through open communication.
- Protect confidential and private information.
- Avoid conflicts of interest.
- Work to strengthen the public’s understanding of the mission and vision of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated.
- Consider our personal image and behavior, because we understand we represent the Sigma sisterhood in all aspects of our daily lives.
Facts and Symbols:
- Flower: Yellow Tea Rose
- Mascot: The Poodle
- Colors: Royal Blue and Gold
Last updated: 11/15/2017