Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
The mission of the General Studies program is to prepare students for successful lifelong learning by engaging them in a broadly applicable interdisciplinary degree program that reflects the growing complexity and connectivity of the modern world and is guided by integrity, academic excellence, and global citizenship.
|Completion of the Bachelor of General Studies program
- Communicate effectively with diverse audiences, for a variety of purposes, using written English, oral communication, or technical competencies.
- Critically analyze ideas from multiple sources in order to draw well-supported conclusions and solve problems.
- Apply essential ideas, principles, theories, and methods relevant to their concentration and minor disciplines.
- Apply knowledge and skills across interdisciplinary boundaries.
- Evaluate and integrate new information into existing frameworks of knowledge.
- Integrate learning about diverse cultures, groups, and ideas across interdisciplinary boundaries.
General Studies students must meet the following requirements to graduate from the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences:
- 126 semester hours of credit with a minimum total institutional GPA of 2.0; and a 2.0 cumulative GPA in each area of study;
- At least 26 semester hours of credit in the areas of study must be earned through Georgia Southern;
- At least 30 semester hours of the degree requirements must be earned through Georgia Southern.
|Specific Requirements for the Bachelor of General Studies
The Bachelor of General Studies is a flexible program that allows you to individually structure your degree to meet your interests and professional goals, by building a degree program which includes three areas of study.
- Choose three areas of study at the 3000- level or higher from the updated list at georgiasouthern.edu/class
- Coursework from a previous institution and past credit from Georgia Southern may be used to satisfy a portion of the areas of study;
- Students may choose from over 60 areas of study across all disciplines at Georgia Southern.
|Approved Areas of Study
- Africana Studies
- American Studies
- Asian Studies
- Athletic Training
- Classical and Medieval Studies
- Child and Family Development
- Communication Arts
- Comparative Literature
- Computer Science
- Culture and Society
- Environmental Sustainability
- European Studies
- Exercise Studies
- Fashion and Merchandising and Apparel Design
- Film Studies
- Fraud Examination
- Geographic Information Science
- Graphic Communications Management
- Health Education and Promotion
- Hotel and Restaurant Management
- Individual Emphasis
- Industrial Safety
- Information Systems
- Information Systems/Information Technology
- International Studies
- Irish Studies
- Justice Studies
- Latin American Studies
- Military Science
- Multimedia Communication
- Nutrition and Food Science
- Political Science
- Public Relations
- Regional Economic Development
- Religious Studies
- Southern Studies
- Technical Writing
- Visual Communications Design
- Web Media
- Woman’s and Gender Studies
Last updated: 4/23/2014